Similarly, am I the only who's noticed lately that a lot of TV shows are starting to slip in little references to how the IC world is in some way shaped by the television format? I know on House this season they've made references to the fact that House only has 24 cases a year or only sees a patient a week. Similarly, on Smallville, Clark has commented that he saves the town on a more-or-less annual basis. Buffy started doing the same thing towards the last couple of seasons ("Dawn's in trouble; must be Tuesday."). Am I the only one that's seen this?
And now the meme...
Name 12 characters you have played in RPGs, before looking at the questions that follow. List your characters numbered 1 to 12, with the name of the RPG you played them in. Once you've picked your 12 characters, look at the questions and answer accordingly. (No peeking until you've picked your characters!) Put your answers behind a LJ-cut.
1) Freddie Zachs, Malkavian antitribu, Vampire: The Masquerade LARP (Theater of Darkness)
2) Asaire Derick, Gnomeling Thief, Hackmaster
3) Nick Pines, Seelie Satyr, Changeling: The Dreaming LARP (Before the Dawn)
4) Nez, Shifter Rogue/Urban Ranger, Dungeons and Dragons game set in Eberron
5) William "B1llb04rd" Town, Virtual Adept, Mage: The Ascension LARP
6) Trevor Shaffer, Ministry Telepath, Trinity
7) Shizen no Sasayaki, Kitsune Gukutsushi, Werewolf: The Apocalypse LARP (Night Lair)
8) Martin, Human Wild Mage, Hackmaster
9) Mentrala the Builder, Raksha Artisan, Exalted
10) Wyatt Lowell, psionic cop, Futuristic GURPS game
11) Trent Carter, mortal Sorcerer/feng Shui expert, OWoD LARP (Theater of Darkness)
12) Ricky Stevens, orphan bookstore employee, Call of Cthulhu d20
1) Who would make a better college professor: 6, or 11?
I'd have to say Trent. In fact, he was an architecture student when he appeared in the game, which is how he stumbled onto the art of feng shui in the first place. Actually, Trevor might make a good one himself.
2) Do you think 2 is hot? How hot?
Hm... well, that's a tough one. I mean, by our non-Garweeze Wurld standards, I think folks would have found him attractive. But within the setting, Gnomelings (half-halfling, half-gnome; they tend to call themselves 'quarterlings') are looked down upon and not just because of their height. He doesn't do much for me, personally, and it would take a pretty open-minded person to actually go after him.
3) 12 sends 8 on a mission. What is it, and does it succeed?
Huh. Weird. 16-year old Ricky Stevens sends a Wild Mage on a mission... it would probably be to pick up some sort of arcane text for Ricky's boss (who ran the bookstore).
It would probably succeed, as long as Martin didn't get distracted. He had a bit of an ADD-streak, and a gambling addiction. Either he'd retrieve the item and get it back to Ricky, or he'd find it and wind up losing it in a hand of poker.
4) What is, or would be, 9's favourite book?
Mortal tomes hold no interest for Mentrala the Builder! They are written by those who have no understanding of the mutable nature of reality. If he actually had a book he liked, it would be one he would write himself of the stories himself has been a part of.
Or maybe an art book. Nothing too specific, but probably full of landscapes.
5) Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Yikes. I'm really not sure on that one. Asaire would probably swear fealty to Trevor. I don't see Trevor following anyone but his own higher-ups in the Ministry. Besides, Asaire is an absolute wiz with throwing daggers; he'd make good hired muscle, his height notwithstanding.
6) For some reason, 5 is looking for a room-mate. Should they share a studio apartment with 9, or 10?
10. Definitely 10. When picking roommates, B1llb04rd the Virtual Adept would definitely take the psychic cop from the future over the entity from beyond Creation that is just going to reshape the apartment every other week.
7) 2, 7, and 12 have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
Yikes. That would be tough as hell to work out... I mean, Ricky wouldn't be picky about the food as long as he wasn't the only one paying. Asaire is used to traditional fantasy fare-- and at that, the stuff that's been sitting in the kitchen for a while because nobody likes Gnomelings. So Sasayaki would drag them to a traditional Japanese place.
I'm honestly not sure what the three of them would discuss. They'd probably compare notes on monster fighting. I mean, Asaire's a fantasy adventurer-- lots of monster fighting there. Sasayaki fights the Wyrm, although not as violently as some, and when danger calls Ricky answers with the fire axe he picked up in his first adventure (and he puts a notch in the handle every time he splatters something).
8) 3 challenges 10 to a duel. What happens?
Wyatt wouldn't casually accept a duel unless it was over a legal matter (maybe a criminal only agrees to come in quietly if Wyatt wins a duel). If he wound up having to take on Nick, though, Nick would completely kick his ass. Even with Wyatt's cop training, his psionic abilities are entirely sensory in nature and Nick completely outclasses him physically.
9) If 1 stole 8's most precious possession, how would they get it back?
Martin would simply come after him, with his magic-guns a-blazin'. While Freddie has decent physical abilities, Magic Missle always hits.
10) Suggest a title for a story in which 7 and 12 both attain what they most desire.
"The Fall of the Horrors Beyond Reality."
Or something to that effect.
11) What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 and 1 to work together?
It would have to be one of those typical 'common enemy' things. Ignoring barriers between different realities, Freddie would have to come to Sharn, City of Towers and wind up helping Nez fight a threat to it.
12) If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
I'd probably wind up talking to him about Japanese kitsune legends and he'd roll his eyes at the material I've heard versus the reality. I doubt we'd actually get on each others' nerves or anything like that, because both he and I are just too zen/mellow to really be bothered.
13) If you could command 3 to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
Nick's a Satyr... would you really have to ask?
No, really, I'd probably go out to a bar and ask him to be my wingman.
14) Does anyone on your friends list resemble 11 (either in appearance or personality)? (Note: This is the version of the question from innocent_man's LJ... the original question is... ridiculous)
I really can't think of anyone specific, especially personality-wise. He's the only one of that list that's anywhere close to normal, and most of my friends are anything but. Appearance-wise... I dunno. I mean, he looks like your average unassuming college student.
15) If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, which would it be?
Asaire would probably choose Nez, simply because he'd find Nez easier to understand than William's hardcore magical future-tech. Of course, Nez's universe's hardcore magic-tech (being Eberron) wouldn't be much better, but it would be the less confusing of two evils.
16) What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
"I know you're guilty, stop right there! Dead or alive, you're coming with me!"
Yeah, that last part is totally ripped off of Robocop. But it's not Wyatt's fault; he's never seen the movie.
17) If you chose a song to represent 8, which song would you choose?
I'm really not sure. I never know with fantasy characters.
18) 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
It would be a coin toss between Trevor and Ricky. On the one hand, Trevor's a trained telepath and would make the other two listen when he calls dibs. On the other, Ricky's an orphan. He grew up on the streets and would not let stray food get away.
19) What might be a good pick-up line for 2 to use on 10?
"Hey officer, want to bust someone for public indecency?"
Yeah, I couldn't think of anything better.
20) What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Being a Reality Deviant. Or probably arrested for some weapons-related charges when the other Mages he hangs out with get arrested for blowing up something like the retards they were.
21) What is 6's secret?
Depends on how cheesy I want to get with some of my Trinity Universe characters (namely, which stuff I want to consider 'canon' with regards to some of the Aberrant games I've played).
It would probably either be the ways that Trevor had to contact the Ministry using a complicated code where he'd post to OpNet message boards under multiple identities and start flame wars with himself to transmit messages, or that his family had a couple of Aberrants/Novas back in the early 21st century.
22) If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Huh. That's an interesting one. Trent had Conveyance and could teleport. However, Mentrala is a Raksha. If they were close enough to the Wyld for shaping to happen, Mentrala would win. Outside of it, it would definitely be Trent, 'riding' the chi flows that would take him there.
23) If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 or 8?
It would be Sasayaki. I mean, sure, his Crinos-equivalent form is worthless in a fight, but his powers are at least at lot more stable and consistent than Martin's.
24) 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4's sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that he/she is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fic?
Good lord. Okay... lemme think here. One thing at a time.
Freddie Zachs and Mentrala the Builder would team up to deal with Nez. This is almost do-able. A Malkavian and a Raksha, two entities very aware of the mutable nature of reality have to fight the secret organization of a community-minded D&D Rogue. Okay, so in other words they're going after the Boromar Clan, one of Sharn's criminal organizations (for whom Nez works). That probably means that the city itself is a threat if Nez is getting involved at all-- this is one of those guys who puts most of his profits back into the community in which he lives. (During the short time I played him, he thought he was going to have to leave the city for a while and before leaving he left a veritable shitload of cash at the bar and said that nobody was to pay for their drinks until that retainer was drained.)
Trent is offering to help them and is actually a spy for the Boromars. I can actually sort of see this; I can see Trent working to help maintain a magically-charged city. So far, so good.
Nez has kidnapped Ricky and is holding him hostage. Yeah, he'd do that if it means defending the city.
B1llb04rd has advised Freddie and Mentrala to seek out Nick Pines, who has something that they need to complete the quest. I'm thinking some sort of badass aphrodisiac to drop into the water supply to cause havoc. Because he's a Satyr, they totally have those.
Now for the title...
"Where Reality Comes Crashing Down"
The 'reality' stuff coming from the fact that this features a team-up between a Malk and a Raksha (who are later advised by a Mage). And the 'crashing down' bit is inspired by the fact that Sharn is the 'City of Towers.' So yeah.
I didn't realize how grueling that would be, mentally... I'm just glad I didn't pick the Alchemical Exalted I played briefly for that list. That would have made some of those questions very strange.
-- Oh what, like you've never played a fictional descendant of yourself in a game that took place in the future.